So you've had a clear-out and are now wondering where best to put everything you've kept. Or you've just been on a shopping spree but realised you have anywhere to put your new purchases. Whatever the situation, decluttering and organising your home can feel like a daunting task, especially if you are limited for space. Worktops, shelves or any surface can easily get mindlessly covered in belongings and can make your home feel messy. Here at Leekes, we have put together some handy tips and ideas to help you to organise your belongings and space more efficiently whilst still being stylish.
Tips & Ideas
With a lot of small and odd-shaped items, it is so easy for a kitchen to become cluttered and unorganised. There are many clever ways for you to improve your kitchen storage but here are a few of our favourites.
- Stack baking trays, pans and lids vertically using built-in stacks or wire racks. This will not only save space, but will make finding the one you need easier.
- Use cutlery trays in your drawers and cutlery pots on your worktops. Keeping the essentials on the worktops saves space in the drawers for any extra utensils you may have.
- Under the sink can seem like wasted space. Using storage boxes and trays is an easy way to keep it tidy. Also, adding a hanging pole to hang spray bottles off increases the amount of space you have to use.
- If your mug cupboard is bursting at the seams, use a mug tree or wall pegs. This will brighten up your worktop or walls too.
- Use forgotten spaces such as the side of a cupboard or an empty wall to hang chunky and bulky items such as colanders or chopping boards
One of the most used rooms in the house is the living room, so it's no wonder that it can get pretty unorganised. Here are a few of our favourite ways to keep your lounge neat and stylish.
- Baskets are an easy way to neatly store your living room belongings such as newspapers, toys and even blankets. Whether you choose round or square, they can easily be stored on shelving units, bookcases or even in the corner of the room.
- Hidden storage such as storage footstools is perfect if you don't want to take up shelving space. Alternatively, dual-use items such as a coffee table with storage are ideal for making your living room look homely whilst still being practical.
- Shelves take advantage of the vertical empty space in your living room. Whether you add shelves to hold baskets or just decorative items, they help to add the finishing touches to your room and become useful homes for books and photo frames.
- If you have the room, cabinets or bookshelves are an ingenious way to keep your living room stylish whilst solving your storage issues at the same time. With space for lots of your belongings, you can create a pretty display that also serves a purpose.
Trying to relax in your bedroom can be hard when your stuff seems to be everywhere and you can't find anywhere you house your belongings. Whatever the size of your bedroom there are plenty of storage options available.
- An Ottoman or Divan bed offers the perfect hidden storage solution for things you don't need access to all the time, such as suitcases or seasonal clothes. with an ottoman bed, use boxes to keep your stuff stored neat and tidy. If a standard bed is more your thing, try using flat storage boxes which can live underneath your bed.
- Use available wall space to hang shelves or hooks. Depending on what style, these shelves can house anything from decorative items to books or even shoes. Hooks can be used to hang jewellery and accessories if you don't have a lot of dresser space.
- A trunk or blanket box is ideal for the bottom of the bed. Not only does it look stylish but you can fit any extra bedding or blankets in that you don't need all the time. Smaller trunks are a great place to store keepsakes which you don't want to be hidden away in the loft.
- For extra wardrobe space, try using a hanging compartment for shoes or t-shirts. If you don't have enough room in your wardrobe for this, using a clothing rail in your room is a top trend at the moment. The ends can even be used to hang hats or accessories.
Whether you get clever with your storage or stick to the quick fixes, there are plenty of ways you can transform your living areas from cluttered to organised and homely.