1 lb self raising flour (plus extra for rolling out)
6 oz margarine (plus extra for frying)
6 oz caster sugar
A pinch of salt
1 tsp mixed spices
1 medium egg
2 tbsp of milk
A generous handful of chocolate chips
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and mixed spices.
2. Chop the margarine, add to the flour, and using your finger tips start rubbing it all together until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Next, mix in the sugar and the chocolate chips.
3. Whisk the egg in a cup and then pour into the mixture, mix until well combined.
4. Add one tablespoon of milk and mix well, then add the second tablespoon so you’re able to press all of the mixture together to create a ball of dough.
5. Scatter flour on your work surface and start rolling out the dough so its about 1/2 cm thick, and cut out the dough using a round cutter.
6. Grease either a baking stone, griddle pan or a heavy based frying pan with a little bit of margarine, and put it on the hob over a medium heat. Wait a few minutes for it to heat up and then carefully place a few of the Welsh cakes, making sure they’re spread out evenly.
7. After a few minutes, carefully turn them over. You want to ensure that they’re golden brown on each side, not gooey on the edges and have risen a tiny bit.
8. After you have cooked all of the Welsh cakes, sprinkle a little bit of sugar over them and enjoy!