1 large white onion, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper
6 ripe tomatoes, chopped (or a tin of tomatoes)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 large eggs
A few handfuls of chopped coriander, spring onion (to garnish)
1. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the onions, peppers, garlic, spices, pinch salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer until the tomato mixture begins to reduce, about 10-12 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
3. Using a wooden spoon, make 6 spaced out indentations, or “wells,” in the tomato mixture Gently crack an egg into each well.
4. Reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and cook on low until the egg whites are set.
5. Uncover and scatter the coriander and spring onion. You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper, if you like. Serve with warm pita, challah bread, or your choice of crusty bread.