4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 rashers bacon (optional)
4 large burger buns, sliced in half
Lettuce, tomato and red onion, to serve
Sauce and marinade
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp brown sauce
A splash of chilli sauce (optional)
2 tsp clear honey
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1. Make the sauce and marinade by mixing everything together in a large bowl, then put a few spoonfuls aside.
2. Slice halfway into the thickest part of each chicken breast and spread open. Flatten down slightly with your hand, then toss in the bowlful of marinade to coat. Leave to chill for up to 3 hours and at least 45 minutes to ensure the flavours mix well.
3. Barbecue the chicken for about 10 minutes until completely cooked through. Make sure you turn it to ensure it doesn’t burn but is nicely charred and nice sticky consistency is maintained.
4. If you’re using bacon, cook it at the same time until crisp and toast the buns.
5. Assemble the burgers with lettuce, slices of tomato, onion and the reserved sauce on the side for dolloping on top.