Celebrate British Pie week with our Seville meringue pie with pomegranate. Indulge in fluffy meringue sitting on top of zesty Seville oranges. This sumptuous pie has everything to satisfy your taste buds. Take a look at our recommended products to help you create your favourite pies.
1. Using a little flour to dust the surface, roll out the pastry to the thickness ofa£1coin and use to line a 20cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Leave the excess overhanging and prick the base with a fork. Chill for 30 mins until firm. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the tart tin on a baking sheet, then line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 mins or until the pastry is firm and dry, then remove the beans and foil. Bake for 20 mins more or until the pastry is golden brown and biscuity. Leave to cool.
2. Pour the milk into a pan and bring to a simmer. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornflour, sugar, orange zest, juice and marmalade. Pour the warm milk into the bowl, whisking constantly. Put the mixture in a clean pan and cook over a low heat, stirring all the time, until simmering and thickened. The custard might look a bit lumpy at first, but keep stirring and it will come together. Take off the heat and beat in the butter, followed by the egg yolks.
3. For the meringue, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks in a large bowl. Add the sugar in four additions, whisking back to stiff peaks after each, to make a thick meringue. Whisk in the cornflour.
4. Trim the edges of the pastry case with a small serrated knife. Warm the orange filling until it bubbles, stirring occasionally. Spoon the filling into the case and smooth the top. Carefully spoon the meringue on top of the hot filling, starting at the edge and working towards the middle to prevent the meringue from sinking. Gently swirl the meringue down to meet the pastry all around the edge of the tart.
5. Bake for 15-20 mins or until the meringue is pale golden brown. Cool for at least 1 hr, then remove from the tin and serve scattered with the pomegranate seeds.
Special Price £5.60
Special Price £4.20
Special Price £27
Save £10RRP: £37
Special Price £10
Special Price £8
Save £18RRP: £89
Save £30RRP: £130