2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground ginger)
2 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
Freshly ground black pepper
750ml pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
85g brown sugar, packed
1L vegetable (or chicken) stock
1 14-oz can of coconut milk
Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in pumpkin puree and brown sugar, then whisk in vegetable stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk, cooking over low heat, until warmed through, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro.