vegetable oil for deep frying
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
150g beef frying steak, thinly sliced into strips
1 carrot, shredded
1 spring onion, shredded
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, shredded
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sweet chilli dipping sauce
1 dash light soy sauce
1. Heat the oil to 180 degrees C in a deep wok, saucepan or a deep fryer.
2. Combine eggs, salt and cornflour, then use to coat the beef strips.
3. Deep fry the beef strips, taking care to add them to the pan one by one. Don't stir them for 10 seconds, then stir to ensure they don't stick together. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Add some of the oil from frying to a clean wok over medium high heat. Stir fry the carrot, spring onion, garlic and chilli. Add the sugar, white rice vinegar, sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce and mix together. Finally add the beef and toss together just to heat through.
5. Serve straightaway. Goes well with sticky white rice.