1 wild duck
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 lemon, cut in half
4 sprigs sage, rosemary, parsley or thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. using a sharp knife point, carefully prick the skin of the duck all over, making sure not to pierce the meat itself. This lets the fat render out and will help crisp the skin.
2. Rub the cut lemon all over the duck and stick it inside the cavity. Liberally salt the bird, making sure you use a little more salt than you think you need. Stuff the duck with the herbs. \let the bird sit pout for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
3. When you are ready to roast, place the duck on a frying pan or an ovenproof pan and surround it with root vegetables. Pop the pan in the oven and roast the duck for an hour.
4. Next, pop the duck out of the oven and set it on a cutting board to rest. Spoon any fat that has accumulated over the vegetables and salt them well.
5. Now increase the heat to 230C/450F. When the oven hits this temperature, roast the duck for up to 20 more minutes, or until the skin is crisp.
6. Remove from the oven and let the duck rest for a further 5 minutes before serving with the root vegetables.